First Generation Day Celebration
In honor of National First-Gen College Celebration, join us to recognize and celebrate first-generation college students, faculty, and staff at UCI!
What is First Generation?
The First Generation Staff Association is a UCI staff organization that includes members that identify or advocate for first generation college students and commit to fostering a community of inclusive support, share professional development opportunities and commit to the advancement of first generation students.
The Gateway Initiative Resources
The Gateway Initiative is a set of services designed to provide low-income, 1st generation students with the necessary resources, academic skills, and appropriate referrals that will allow them to reach their maximum personal, academic, and career potential.
Scholarship for on campus tutoring through the LARC office. Fall Quarter LARC Scholarships are available now! You may be eligible for a LARC Scholarship through Student Success Initiatives for FALL! If you were eligible for the scholarship the previous quarter, that does not warrant you the scholarship this quarter.
STEP Second-year Transitional Experience Program was developed to help first generation and low income first- year students transition into their second year at UC Irvine. STEP aims to help students with their academic and personal needs. Positioned between freshmen and junior year (2 years with strong academic identities) the second year is often overshadowed. The STEP program aims to focus on the unique needs of sophomore students with the goal of helping them to succeed and thrive at UCI.
Through a collaborative effort between Student Success Initiatives (SSI) and the Student Outreach and Retention (SOAR) Center, the Gateway Scholars Program aims to support the advancement and holistic development of its students. Educational partnerships make up a cohort of students, consisting of first-year students, continuing students, and transfers, who will receive support through intentional programming and advising to meet their academic, personal, and professional needs as they make their transition into UC Irvine.
Resources for First Generation College Students
- Virtual Learning Success Tips & Resources for First Generation Students
- Gateway Initiative provides resources, support and guidance to low-income, first generation students at UCI.
- SSI Guide to Thrive for First Generation Students and First Years
- TRIO Scholarsis a federally funded program designed to assist 140 eligible students throughout their undergraduate careers.
- First generation Transfer Students can benefit from cohort programs in the Transfer Student Hub.
- The First Generation First Quarter Challengeis designed to provide support and guidance to students who are the first in their families to attend college.
First Generation Faculty and Allies
- If you are a UCI First Generation Faculty member, please contact us so that we can add you to a campus-wide directory.
- The First Generation Faculty Initiative hosts twice-yearly lunch workshops. Meetings feature short lectures and presentations by scholars/experts on topics of importance to first-generation students. Check out some past First Generation Faculty Initiative Workshops here!
- Click here to receive more information about upcoming workshops or UCI First Genevents!
First Generation Profiles
- Check out our UCI Faculty members that take part in the UC-wide First Generation Faculty Initiative and read about their experience as a First Generation college student!
- UCI has over 200 Staff members throughout various departments that take part in the UCI First Generation Staff Initiative!
- Interested in learning about some of our current First Generation College Students at UCI? Take a look at their stories about being the first in their family to go to college!